Skip to main content
Skip to navigation menu
Master modern cocktail making and the latest techniques of avant-guard cuisine applied to the preparation of cocktails.
This university degree course is a complete programme to become a modern barman.
An intensive programme with a duration of 2 months, which includes study visits, master classes by prominent bartenders, a final project supported by tutors and work experience in the industry.
The degree is jointly awarded by Mondragon University and the Faculty of Gastronomic Sciences of the Basque Culinary Centre.
Graduates in catering, gastronomy and other disciplines who wish to specialise in the cocktail industry and professionals from the sector (bartenders, front of house staff, etc.) with the ambition to progress and acquire new skills.
• To acquire basic knowledge of the operation of a bar, customer service and team management and motivation.
• To acquire in-depth knowledge of the main products used in a bar; the key alcoholic drinks (rum, liqueurs and fermented beverages), wine and coffee, from their raw materials to main production areas, manufacturing methods, their properties and derivatives, and service.
• To master the classic and avant-guard techniques in cocktail preparation.
• To develop creative and sensory skills to produce signature cocktails as well as their own creations (alcoholic drinks, bitters, etc.).
• To learn and apply the gastronomic possibilities to cocktail preparation, both to desserts and savouring blends.
• To define and analyse the production processes (planning, stocks, costs) as a function of the type of service, business model and customer expectations (grand events, shows attended by the customer, cocktails in series, etc.).
Positions of bartender or head bartender can unquestionably be undertaken.
Adviser to the cocktail industry, brand ambassador for various brands, or the development of new products are other possible career opportunities.
A study plan that will provide you with a global vision that will enable you to master all the technical aspects of cocktail preparation and understand the business as well as the cocktail bar customer.
For further information on the study plan download
TERM TIMES: from October to December 2021.
TIMETABLE: Monday to Thursday from 15:15 to 20:15
NUMBER OF PLACES: 18
REGISTRATION: the registration will be opened in May 2021
• Very practical: cookery shows, tasting of alcoholic beverages, fruits, cocktail shaker training, mixtures, practical workshops and creativity sessions.
• Master classes run by prestigious guest bartenders.
• Study visits: there will be a visit to a distillery to experience in situ the distillation and the production process of some of the alcoholic beverages studied in the training modules, as well as other production centres connected to the module content.
• Project: the creation of a cocktail for a cocktail bar. Technical details of cocktails:
The academic team is made up of:
• Expert course coordinator and senior lecturer. Patxi Troitiño, Spanish Champion 2009.
• Cookery, patisserie and front of house tutors for the Basque Culinary Centre.
• Experts in sensorial analysis and creativity.
• Experts in the different types of alcohol beverages and mixes: oenologists, mixologists, bartenders, brand ambassadors, etc.
• Experts in costs, team management and customer service.
Master class in cocktail preparation
During the course, renowned bartenders will share with students their knowledge and experience in the creation of cocktails, organisation of a competition, the secrets of their business model, etc.
This programme of studies has been assessed by a group of experts at the forefront of the sector and consists of:
• Javier de Las Muelas. Dry Martini, Barcelona.
• Pepe Dioni. Vice-President Europe IBA, San Sebastian.
• Marc Alvarez. Director fundador Drink´s Atelier.
• Carlos Moreno. “Bar Manager Coctelería Catarsis,Grupo Larrumba”, Madrid.
• Javier Caballero. “Liquid Experience: Coctelería evolutiva”.
• Juan Vals. Bar Manager El Niño Perdido Cocktail Bar.
Throughout the course, some of these experts and other distinguished bartenders will share their experience, creative methods and the keys to their success.
The total fees for the programme are €3,190 which must be paid as follows
• €150 at the time of applying for a place (refundable in full in the case of not being admitted).
• 40% of the total, that is €1,216 as a reservation fee payable at the time of confirmation of admission.
• The remainder of the fees, €1,824 two weeks prior to the start of the programme.
This price includes:
• Teaching material
• Study visits
The Basque Culinary Centre has special financing agreements with various financial organisations.
Refundable (partly or wholly) through the Fundación Tripartita.
The students’ information office of the faculty will provide the necessary information and will assist students with their search for accommodation and shared flats.
The Basque Culinary Centre has a system of admissions that aims to ensure that our students have the academic level and personal competences required to complete the study plan successfully.
For any further enquiries regarding course requirements or the admission process, please do not hesitate to contact us on email@example.com
New residence opened in the academic year 2017/2018.
Located just a step away from the Basque Culinary Center and with excellent downtown connections, the residence has 73 well-equipped studios designed for those who desire luxury student living. All rooms feature the latest trends in interior design and technology and include double beds, flat screen TVs, modern furniture, in-room kitchenettes, private bathrooms, and outward facing views. The facilities are also equipped with a fitness center, meeting and study rooms, a large shared kitchen space for culinary practices, as well as a community living area where residents can socialize and relax.
Some of the amenities include:
Students from European Union member countries, Norway, Switzerland. Liechtenstein and Iceland will not require a visa to reside in Spain.
Other international students will have to request a long-term student visa which will allow them to reside in Spain for a period longer than 180 days.
Visas should be requested from, and issued by the Diplomatic Missions and Spanish Consul Offices abroad. It is important to obtain information on the required documentation and gather it as soon as possible, since the relevant authorities may take up to two months to notify that visas will be granted.
Once students have arrived in Donostia-San Sebastian, they have one month from the time of their arrival to request the foreign students’ card at the Foreign Residents Office in Donostia-San Sebastian. The students’ office of the BCC will provide the necessary information to students in this matter.
Through the MU Sports Service, students can access team sports as well as individual sporting activities and Group trips (weekend skiing, surfing trips….).
Donostia-San Sebastian also has an extensive offer of municipal sporting facilities. The Kirol Txartela (sport card) permits access to all the city’s municipal facilities at a very economical price. For more information, go to the following link.
Information on the COST OF LIVING in San Sebastian is given below:
The best way to move around the city is with the network of urban buses. The company which provides this service is Compañia del Tranvia de Donostia-San Sebastian.
Their web page www.dbus.es contains all information on routes, timetables and tariffs. The web page also enables the calculation of the bus route between two points and its estimated duration.
Students can benefit from monthly season tickets which reduce the cost of travelling by bus.
Donostia-San Sebastian offers accommodation in student residences. It is advisable that those interested in this type of accommodation make their reservation as soon as possible.
A document containing information on some of the residences in the city can be found below.
Download: Accommodation in San Sebastian
During their study years, BCC students will have access to the BCC Student APP. Through this APP students will be informed about grants and scholarships, job opportunities, extracurricular learning opportunities, events, invitations to exclusive Master Classes... They will also be informed on student discounts, BCC Cafeteria or Restaurant reservations, transportation, etc.