Skip to main content
Skip to navigation menu
Become a highly qualified expert in culinary tourism and stand out in today's market.
The unquestionable influence of cuisine on travel and the growing demand for culinary tourism mean that this subject has become one of the segments with the greatest development opportunities.
The World Tourism Organisation and the Basque Culinary Center have joined forces to create a benchmark training program, designed to professionalise this fast-growing sector.
This Master's Degree will give you the competencies required to efficiently manage businesses and organisations linked to the culinary tourist sector, in the public and private spheres alike, and with a strategic approach, in line with the reality of the sector and the most innovative trends.
You'll learn how to design products and creative and innovative food and wine experiences, and how to position these in the target markets and to create successful, long-lasting relations with the various culinary tourist profiles.
You will also participate in Master Classes given by managers of gastronomic tourism companies where they will present models and real experiences of success.
¡Live the experience of studying a Master's degree in San Sebastian, the gastronomic tourism destination par excellence!
OPEN ENROLLMENT. SIGN UP NOW
• Duration: 60 credits (1.500 hours).
• 6,5 months of training (4 months online part and 2,5 months classroom part) + 3 months of work experience.
• The next Master's Degree course is set to start in October 2021.
• For any queries or further information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Master's Degree is an own degree issued by the University of Mondragon.
WHY THIS MASTER'S DEGREE IS THE RIGHT ONE FOR YOU
You'll master methods and advanced techniques in the management and promotion of culinary tourism destinations and companies..
You'll make educational visits to areas with considerable experience. In past editions, we have visited destinations such as: Rioja, Álava, Cataluña, San Sebastian and surrounding areas.
• Graduates, professionals, those with a university degree preferably related to tourism, economy, business management and administration, geography, journalism, communication, gastronomy, etc.
• Professionals in the tourism and culinary sectors:
- Public sector: tourism officers in institutions and organisations (district councils, city councils, directorates-general of tourism, development groups, etc.) managing tourist destinations and products.
- Private sector: tour operators, tourism product managers, regulatory boards, etc.
If you're passionate about gastronomy and tourism, this is your master's degree!
We will assess each profile individually, regardless of the candidate's previous training or experience.
This Master's Degree will give you the knowledge, expertise and tools required to improve the competitiveness of companies and destinations, by acquiring the necessary competencies with regard to the planning and management of culinary tourism destinations and enterprises, understanding gastronomy from a cultural and multi-dimensional perspective.
You'll learn how to design products and creative and innovative food and wine experiences, and how to position them in the target markets and to create successful, long-lasting relations with the different culinary tourist profiles.
You'll be able to understand the unique characteristics of food and wine tourism in a specific area and the role played by the local agents and actors involved, ranging from the institutions to the business sectors forming part of the value chain.
This Master's Degree will allow students to perform duties and functions in the following area of work related to culinary tourism destination, entities and enterprises.
• Management of tourism enterprises and activities related to culinary tourism.
• Planning and management of culinary tourism in public institutions, bodies managing destination tourism and culinary products, etc.
• Planning and management of projects to make the most of and to revitalise the culinary heritage.
• Research into tourism markets and the development of knowledge in the area of culinary tourism.
Our service for graduates of the Basque Culinary Center, Bculinary Alumni, periodically publishes job offers related to the professional opportunities indicated in relation to gastronomic tourism.
MODULE 0: STRUCTURE OF THE TOURIST MARKET (Online)
MODULE 1: INTRODUCTION TO GASTRONOMIC TOURISM (Online)
MODULE 2: STRATEGIC PLANNING OF GASTRONOMIC TOURISM (Online)
MODULE 3: KNOWING THE GASTRONOMIC TOURIST (Online)
MODULE 4: DESIGN OF GASTRONOMIC TOURISM PRODUCTS AND EXPERIENCES (Online)
MODULE 5: BRANDING AND MARKETING OF GASTRONOMIC TOURISM (Online)
MODULE 6: GASTRONOMIC CULTURE (Online and face-to-face with workshops, case studies and learning journeys)
MODULE 7: MANAGEMENT OF ENOGASTRONOMIC TOURISM DESTINATIONS (Online and face-to-face with workshops, case studies and learning journeys )
MODULE 8: CREATION AND MANAGEMENT OF GASTRONOMIC TOURISM COMPANIES (Online and on-site with workshops, case studies and learning journeys )
MODULE 9: SUSTAINABLE TOURISM AND CIRCULAR ECONOMY (Online)
MODULE 10: FINAL MASTER'S PROJECT
MODULE 11: CURRICULAR INTERNSHIPS
ONLINE PART: October 2021 - January 2022
CLASSROOM PART: February 2022 - April 2022
INTERNSHIPS: April 2022 - July 2022
TIMETABLE: Monday to Friday from 15:15 to 20:15 hours.*
No. of PLACES: : 20
Work experience shall be conducted after completing the Master's degree classroom teaching. Work experience shall have a duration of 480 hours.
Students will have the option to validate work experience through proven professional experience.
*Although the hours are from Monday to Friday, from 15.15 to 20.15 hours, educational visits, tasting seminars, a few marketing sessions, and exceptionally some seminars or master classes, may be held in the morning or on a day other than the day normally established, if the nature of the activity so requires.
The teaching-learning process is based on the following methodological concepts:
• Conceptual presentation sessions: In these sessions the conceptual foundations of each subject in the module shall be explained by experts.
• Master Class: Sessions in which leading professionals in culinary tourism will give a first-hand explanation of real successful models and experiences.
• Studies of Practical cases: Practical cases are presented and specific examples in specific participatory workshops. These cases allow for group dynamics, debates and reflections.
• Tasting classrooms: Tastings, degustations, workshops and other culinary activities at the BCC facilities, allowing students to experiment with the program contents. Activities created by experts or by the students themselves.
• Technical, educational visits: Culinary activities and visits that illustrate the contents of the subjects, to places of interest such as: Rioja, Bizkaia and Bilbao, Basque Coast, San Sebastián and surroundings. Students will also participate in events organized by the faculty such as Culinary Action! and attend conferences such as Fitur.
The learning is strengthened through the coexistence between students and the expert professionals and coordinators of the Basque Culinary Center.
For non-classroom teaching, students will have the support of a platform, that will allow them to activate the knowledge for classroom sessions through lectures, exercises, cases, etc.
The Master's Degree final project consists in conducting an original project that incorporates, applies and develops the knowledge, skills and attitudes acquired during the Master's Degree course. Therefore this work is of an inclusive nature, given the fact that it harnesses all the general and specific competencies associated with the degree.
The project shall be conducted either individually or in pairs and shall consist in carrying out a Plan for the development and marketing of culinary tourism for a destination or an agro-food company.
The Master's Degree has a professional focus that involves Work Experience in Companies, with a load of 480 hours, 19 credits ECTS.
Some of the work experience centres include:
• Tourism management bodies that work with the culinary tourism product (public entities, tourism consortiums, associations, culinary tourism, product clubs, etc.). We have an agreement with UNWTO so that our students can do their internships there.
• Culinary tourism enterprises: specialist agencies, culinary museums, culinary classrooms, markets, wineries, cider houses, and other industries with tourist activity, restaurants, etc.
In recent years, our students have done their internships in some of the following entities:
Work experience can be validated when it is possible to accredit professional experience of at least one year developing competencies defined in the Master's Degree.
The organisational structure of the Master's Degree comprises a Technical Committee, a Program Director, an Expert Coordinator for each of the main modules in the study program, BCC professors and expert professors in each sector.
Likewise, at each sessions, we'll have guests, leading professionals, to convey their experience to students, interacting in small groups.
You'll learn from the best!
Experienced professionals in the program subjects:
• Food anthropologists, historians and technologists.
• Consultants specialising in food and wine tourism, destination management, the design of a culinary tourism product, etc.
• Destination managers and food and wine tourism companies.
• Experts in marketing and communication, the management of culinary events, etc.
• Master class with expert guests in the creation and promotion of culinary destinations, both nationally and internationally.
• Successful businessmen, to gain an insight into the best practices in culinary tourism.
Registration is opened!
The total fees for this master’s degree course are 9,900 €. If you register now, you will benefit from a € 1,000 discount for early registration, resulting in a total cost of € 8,900 in this case.
Payment will be made as follows:
• €150 at the time of applying for a place (refundable in full in the case of not being admitted or needing to withdraw).
• €2.437,5 (25%) as a reservation fee payable at the time of confirmation of admission. If you have the discount, you will pay € 1,437,5.
• The remainder of the fees is payable in 3 instalments of €1,950 in February, March and April.
*This amount is subject to some variation ahead of the next edition.
The centre has special financing agreements with various financial organisations (with the possibility of repayments over a maximum of 6 years).
Likewise, during their stay, students may apply for the study-employment grants offered by the faculty and lend their services to the different departments: R & D, operations, coffee shop, etc.
The Basque Culinary Center admission system is directed at ensuring that our students have the academic level and personal competencies required to successfully pass the innovative and demanding study programme.
An Admission Committee will be responsible for selecting the candidates admitted.
For any queries or further information, please contact: email@example.com.
New residence opened in the academic year 2017/2018.
Located just a step away from the Basque Culinary Center and with excellent downtown connections, the residence has 73 well-equipped studios designed for those who desire luxury student living. All rooms feature the latest trends in interior design and technology and include double beds, flat screen TVs, modern furniture, in-room kitchenettes, private bathrooms, and outward facing views. The facilities are also equipped with a fitness center, meeting and study rooms, a large shared kitchen space for culinary practices, as well as a community living area where residents can socialize and relax.
Some of the amenities include:
Students from European Union member countries, Norway, Switzerland. Liechtenstein and Iceland will not require a visa to reside in Spain.
Other international students will have to request a long-term student visa which will allow them to reside in Spain for a period longer than 180 days.
Visas should be requested from, and issued by the Diplomatic Missions and Spanish Consul Offices abroad. It is important to obtain information on the required documentation and gather it as soon as possible, since the relevant authorities may take up to two months to notify that visas will be granted.
Once students have arrived in Donostia-San Sebastian, they have one month from the time of their arrival to request the foreign students’ card at the Foreign Residents Office in Donostia-San Sebastian. The students’ office of the BCC will provide the necessary information to students in this matter.
Through the MU Sports Service, students can access team sports as well as individual sporting activities and Group trips (weekend skiing, surfing trips….).
Donostia-San Sebastian also has an extensive offer of municipal sporting facilities. The Kirol Txartela (sport card) permits access to all the city’s municipal facilities at a very economical price. For more information, go to the following link.
Information on the COST OF LIVING in San Sebastian is given below:
The best way to move around the city is with the network of urban buses. The company which provides this service is Compañia del Tranvia de Donostia-San Sebastian.
Their web page www.dbus.es contains all information on routes, timetables and tariffs. The web page also enables the calculation of the bus route between two points and its estimated duration.
Students can benefit from monthly season tickets which reduce the cost of travelling by bus.
Donostia-San Sebastian offers accommodation in student residences. It is advisable that those interested in this type of accommodation make their reservation as soon as possible.
A document containing information on some of the residences in the city can be found below.
Download: Accommodation in San Sebastian
During their study years, BCC students will have access to the BCC Student APP. Through this APP students will be informed about grants and scholarships, job opportunities, extracurricular learning opportunities, events, invitations to exclusive Master Classes... They will also be informed on student discounts, BCC Cafeteria or Restaurant reservations, transportation, etc.